Who is responsible for the special assessment fees that were not disclosed to me?

I purchased a foreclosed home. After closing I received a notice in the mail that a special assessment was already in effect (started a month before foreclosure). Am I liable for the special assessment even though it was not disclosed to me at the closing table? If not, who is liable for the balance – Seller, Attorney?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your purchased a home that was already foreclosed upon and there was no special assessment of record as to the home when purchased and not shown in your presumed preliminary title report, you would be responsible for the special assessment.

If the special assessment was of record (meaning recorded) at the time you purchased the home, but did not show up in your preliminary report or your presumed title report, the title company should be responsible for this assessment.

If the seller knew about the special assessment before close and did not advise you of it, then the seller could very well be on the hook for it. I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney further regarding your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.