Who is responsible for accident related damages payment.

I have a friend I work with, he is on a work visa, he had gotten in an accident
recently and the employer is making him pay all damages done to the company

Is this generally the case? the damages were only to each car.

Asked on June 27, 2016 under Accident Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The at-fault driver is liable to pay for damages, so if your friend were at fault in causing the accident (e.g. driving negligently or carelessly in some way), he would have to reimburse the car's owner (e.g. the company, since it was a company car) for the damage he did to it (and if there was another driver whose car was damaged, too, if your friend was at fault, that driver could seek money from him, too).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.