Who gets paid for property damages if the insurance policy holder and the car title holder are different?

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Accident Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Under the laws of most states in this country, if the registered owner of the vehicle is different that the person who has the policy of insurance for that particular car, the insurance carrier will typically issue the check to the person listed as the insured person.

However, to protect itself, the insurance carrier may issue the check jointly to both parties (registered owner as well as the person who is insured for the vehicle).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.