Who do I file a complaint with when HR does not take action?

I am a manager at a restaurant and have a co-manager who also runs the restaraunt with me. This co-manager is male and has been

Asked on May 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You go to either the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or the California Department of Fair Housing & Employment (DFCE) to file a gender-based employment discrimination or harassment claim. Not only can a fellow employee not harass you at work because you are a woman, but the employer must take reasonable steps to investigage and stop the harassment once you report it, which they have failed to do. The restaurant allowing him to keep doing this makes them, as well as him, liable to the harassment. It is possible that you may be awarded monetary compensation and/or that they may be complelled to take action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.