If while walking in a parking lot I was struck by a vehicle belonging to the electric company and the driver apologizedbut drove off, what should I do?

Asked on September 1, 2011 Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Were you injured? If you were, you are probably entitled to compensation (e.g. for medical costs; lost wages; pain and suffering if a serious or long-lasting injury), assuming that the driver was in some fashion negligent or careless (and not, for example, that you "jumped out" in front of the driver without warning. In this event, for minor injuries, you could contact the utility and seek to submit a claim for them to forward to their insurer; for more significant ones, retain an attorney to help you.

If you were not injured, then even if the driver was liable, there is no cause of action--without injury, there is nothing to receive compensation for. You can certainly complain to the utility and, if you don't like their response, to the state board of utilities; but there would be nothing to sue for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.