What to do if while staying in a hotel I injured my ankle on a metal bed frame that was sticking out?

When I looked under the bed, none of the bottom support bars were attached to the bed correctly and almost all of them were protruding out. I may of broken my ankle as well as injured a tendon. I know I need to get into a doctor immediately but what other steps should I take? Do I have a case?

Asked on May 31, 2014 under Personal Injury, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You may have a case against  the hotel, since it is negligent (unreasonably careless) to not maintain beds in a guest room and have bars or framework protruding out. While seeking medical attention, document everything as thoroughly as you can (have someone photograph the bed if you still have access to the room; take notes of everything that happens and all conversations; keep any correspondence, emails, or text messages; etc.). Once your ankle is looked at you will know the extent of your injuries and can decide whether it's worth suing with a lawyer (if there is any prolonged period of disability or over $3,000 of medical bills), worth suing as your own attorney (less than $3,000 in bills and costs, or not-too-long disability), or not worth suing (only a few hundred dollars or less of bills; no real impairment or disability).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.