If I allowed a worker to stay on the premise for the last 10 months while it was being renovated, how do I get him to leave?

The worker pay me no monies for staying on the premises and I pay for all of the utilities. I let him stay there as a favor. I have recently asked him to leave but he is not doing so. What type of notice can I serve him with (notice to quit)? How long should I give him (30 days) to vacate? And what would be the reason (trespassing)?

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You do not indicate your state; for a detailed answer, you need to do so, since the process varies slightly state by state. Here is a general description of the process:

First, there is no

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.