What to do if while my wife and I were on vacation but our oil company delivered oil to our house without an appointment and without our consent?

We later found out that they delivered it to the wrong house and apartment number, but went ahead and charged our credit card for the oil, again, without our authorization. Are we liable for this charge, and is there any way to get our money refunded if the oil company refuses an outright refund?

Asked on January 9, 2013 under General Practice, Massachusetts


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to immediately contact your credit card company and dispute the charge. Then contact the oil company and explain what occurred and see what the company is willing to do. It may mean extraction of the oil if that is possible or you may wind up with free oil for quite a while.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.