What to do if my grandmother was near death and my uncle had her sign over all her property and assets?

My uncle (by marriage) is a known drunk and gambler whom has been stealing from my grandma. My grandma has been sick due to several sicknesses, also she currently has dementia. My aunts had her sign over all her property and money to them leaving out everyone else – my father and uncle of the 5 children. Is this legal and, if not, in the mean time what is stopping them from selling off all of her belongings? What legal recourse should be taken?

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situaiton and for your loss.  What some one needs to do is to be appointed as the personal representative of your grandmother's estate and with that appointement comes the power to have those transactions set aside.  She was  "unduly influenced" and you will need an attorney to help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.