What are my rights to report a car accident after the fact?

While driving on the interstate today an object from the semi in front of me came loose and I was unable to avoid hitting it with the front of my car. Semi stopped and I wasn’t really concerned until I saw that my bumper was broken. Driver didn’t want to call police and talked me into going up the road to meet his boss and get insurance info. Boss wanted to pay for damages but said my bumper didn’t look like it had been broken by object because paint wasn’t on bumper like other parts. I started to doubt myself and said that I didn’t know but don’t recall it being broken before. Agreed verbally not to make report and left, changed my mind 1 hour later. called boss let him know and headed to police station. Am I wrong in making the report?

Asked on September 9, 2012 under Accident Law, Wyoming


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, you are in the right.  You are have obligation under the law to report all accidents and you should go and file a report as soon as you can if you have not already.  The driver was probably worried that he was not in complaince with other laws because objects should not come flying off semi's on the highway. Now advise your insurance company as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.