Am I entitled to compensation if the public works department found that the waterline that was supposed to have been constructed on a right-of-way was actually on my property?

They discovered this during construction. They are now asking for a 20 foot wide easement running across the length of my property and “the side lines of the easement may be shortened or lengthened to meet the property lines”. Do I have to agree to this? I don’t really want an easement. They have already installed an eyesore of a huge grate right in front of my driveway and totally ruined my water pressure.

Asked on January 30, 2013 under Business Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You are under no legal obligation to grant an easement to the department of public works in your community if you do not wish to. If you desire to give an easement then you should be paid for such. I suggest that you may want to consult with a real estate attorney to assist you in the matter you have written about to protect your interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.