What are my rightsif while crossing at an intersection I was struck by a motorcyclist?

While legally crossing at a city intersection the light turned green before reaching the other side. An impatient motorcyclist passed the front car putting me in his blind spot. He came directly in my path, running over my foot,knocking me to the ground. A police report was filed with witnesses. I’ve had to see a doctor and have x-rays. My foot is severely traumatized, with bruised bones, swollen and I’m on crutches and temporarily missing work.What are my rights and how should I handle the claim without jeopardizing my rights as the insurance department now wants to meet with me. .

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Personal Injury, California


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can make a claim with the motorcyclists's insurance carrier for your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. It is possible you might have some shared liability if you were in the intersection after the light turned green.  I would suggest you contact a personal injury attorney in your area prior to talking with anyone from the motorcyclists insurance company.  Most personal injury attorneys offer free consultations.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.