Which is the fastest way to evict a person who has a child if they areillegally subletting an apartment and doesn’t want to leave?

Have eviction proceedings brought against the illegal subtenant or or have eviction proceedings brought against the legal tenants who illegally allowed the subtenant to move in?

Asked on October 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to evict your own tenant for violating the lease, by subletting when he or she could not. You can't directly evict the subtenant, since the subtenant is being given permission to occupy the premises by the tenant who has possession; to get rid of the subtenant, evict the tenant, which then destroys the basis or ground under which the subtenant is occupying the premises.

Note the following:

You'll need to give the tenant a notice to cease first--or a written warning that they are violating the lease and need to cease doing it. If the tenant gets rid of the subtenant in accord with the notice, you can't evict the tenant.

All of the above presupposes that there is a written lease and it bars subletting: if there is no written lease restricting sublets, the tenant has the right to sublet and you may not evict on this ground.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.