Which forms are needed for my dad to add me on title to his house?

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your father wishes to place you on legal title to the home that you have written about, either a quitclaim deed, joint tenancy deed or a grant deed depending upon the circumstances. A preliminary change of ownership report (PCOR) also needs to be completed.

Given the possible tax ramifications for you receiving title to a portion of your father's home, I suggest that he consults with a real estate attorey that practices tax law as well.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.