Where does probate need to happen?

My father died in London. His estate consists of 2 off-shore accounts, 1/3 of a property in one state and a property in another state. He is a US green card holder and domiciled in Brazil.

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Estate Planning, New Mexico


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Even though your father died in London, the place of his domicile, Brazil, would be the place to start the probate proceeding; ancillary proceedings will need to be conducted in each state where he holds title to real property, which would be distributed according to his will or by the statutory law of his domicile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.