Where does an adult biological child get a copy of a Will of a deceased parent?

Also, can a biological child be omitted from a Will but all other biological children receive their inheritance as well as the grandchildren of the other biological children who is receiving there inheritance. I was very close to my father and was told by my deceased father I was to receive certain things. I do know a Will was done by him but also been told the Will might have been replaced by my mother and sisters to go in their favor and my father was not aware of this if it did take place. I would only know for sure if seeing the copy of the Will they are now using because I know what was in the Will my father did.

Asked on February 28, 2015 under Estate Planning, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Prior to the will maker (the "testator") dying, you can't get the will unless he gives you a copy. After he passes away, you can contact the probate or surrogate's court to get one, since to be effective, the will has to be probated in court, which means it will be on file. And in your state, a parent may disinherit (leave nothing to) an adult child. Oral (or verbal) promises made before death by the testator have no effect--only what's in the will matters. If you feel that a will was fraudulently replaced by other heirs, or otherwise changed or procured by fraud, by deceit, by undue influence, by coercion, etc., you can bring a legal action to challenge it. You should consult with a probate attorney to discuss your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.