Where do I file a theft by deception claim?

I partnered on a real estate deal with someone to oversee a renovation project. While they took the money, no renovations were made. Would like to file theft by deception or conversion claim. What is the first step?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

For you to make a report about a theft matter involving you, there are two option. First contact your local law enforcement to file a police report about the matter. Or, you can go down to your county's district attorney's office and file a report about the incident there.

Since it appears that you have been defrauded and fraud is also a civil action, you might consider consulting with an attorney in your community about what transpired in order to look into whether or not a civil action would be appropriate under the circumstances.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.