Where can I go to get legal advice on appearing before the court?

I have a situation where an attorney wants a $500 retainer “to look at things and investigate” Seems to me he just wants an open checkbook. Is there a place where I can pay for counsel? I have to appear and want some advice.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Business Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Try other attorneys--just like you would shop around for a car, house, plumber, electrician, etc. based, in part on price (and also based on whether you have a good feeling about the object or person), so, too, should you not feel bad about contacting other lawyers to see what they charge or if they provide a free initial consultation. Attorneys can charge whatever they like--but you don't have to work with one you consider greedy. Your state and/or county bar association should have a referral list of lawyers you can contact, if  you don't know other lawyers or have other introductions to them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.