Where are the forms to file a federal tax levy for judgments owed?

Can you tell me what form I need to fill out in order to get a federal levy placed on someone’s tax return so I can receive payment on an old judgement? This person does not work anywhere and probably wont for many years. She has children so she always gets a tax return. Criminal owes about $12K.

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have a judgment against a person for the $12,000 or so that you have written about you need to have issued and abstract of judgment from the court and record it in the county recorder's office where the debtor resides.

You can also levy upon the bank accounts and garnish the wages of the debtor. Most states have pre-printed forms to do what you need to get started for getting paid on the judgment you have. You have the option of consulting with an attorney that practices in the area of debt collection, consulting with your local legal aid program or going to your county law library for assistance in getting the collection process going on the judgment you have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.