when you get married and you add a dependent to your heath plan can you change you plan?

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Insurance Law, Ohio


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If it is through your employer, there is an open enrollment period, and that is when you can make any changes, so ask at work.  If it is an individual plan (not through work), you should be able to change it when you like.  Call the insurer and discuss with their customer service.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.