when you are in the process of becoming an U.S citizen, and you are currently an U.S resident, are you allowed to go out of the United States?

Ive been an U.S resident since 1999.

Asked on March 2, 2016 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes you can go outside the US for short periods of time even if you are in the process of applying for naturalization.  As part of the process, you will be fingerprinted so it is best to leave after that happens and before the interview.  Currently, it is taking about 2-4 months after the fingerprinting for the interview to be scheduled so you can plan accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.