When we know for a fact the mother of my stepdaughter has been drinking and driving with her what can we do?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I can surely understand you and your husband's concern here.  But how do you know "for a fact" that this is occurring?  In order for your husband to take the bull by the horns here you are going to need some form of proof for the court.  Because what he needs to do is to bring this to the court's attention and to alter the situation by asking the court to modify what ever custody agreement is in place to make sure that she does not ride in the car with the child.  So go and seek help from ana ttorney in the area.  See if the proof is prevailing enough to ask the court to have her car equipped with an interlock device to insure it will not start if she is drunk. This is going to be a battle but one well worth the time.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.