Can a landlord make a tenant replace a faucet?

Landlord/tenant law states that landlords are to maintain all electrical, plumbing, and heating.

Asked on December 9, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It is the landlord's obligation to replace the faucet.  The landlord has to maintain the premises in a habitable condition which would include plumbing repairs.  If the tenant vandalized or otherwise intentionally damaged the faucet, the landlord may be able to argue that the tenant is responsible for the cost of repairs.  Assuming that vandalism or intentional damage is not an issue, then the landlord is responsible for the cost of repairs. 

In addition, if the landlord required a tenant to replace a faucet and the tenant negligently installed the faucet resulting in water damage or other problems, the tenant could assert the defense of assumption of the risk if the landlord tried to hold the tenant liable for negligence.  Assumption of the risk means the landlord recognized and understood the danger of having a tenant repair the plumbing and landlord voluntarily chose to encounter it.

The landlord/tenant law you quoted is clear and unambiguous that the landlord is to maintain the plumbing and therefore would be responsible for replacing the faucet.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.