When pre-screening for employment, result came out as a “telephone harrassment” back in 1997. How can I clear this name?

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The general rule is that a conviction remains part of the public record unless it is subsequently pardoned.  Therefore, if this person was convicted of a crime in 1997, it will probably remain part of the public record, and therefore appear on background checks, unless that person seeks a pardon.  On the other hand, some charges that do not result in convictions should be erased from the public record.  For example, if the charges were dismissed or found not guilty, they should probably not continue to appear in background checks.  If they do, you should contact your state's judicial records keeping division to remedy this error.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.