If petitioned by another party through the court system, can I say no to a paternity test?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the court orders a paternity test, you will need to have a paternity test done.   This is to protect the person.  If the person demanding the paternity test is the father, he wants to make sure you have the right person so if he is not the father he will not have to be responsible for child support for the next 18 years.  If it is the mother, this is so if you are the father, you must be required to pay your legally required child support payments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.