How can I review my later father’s Will?

When my dad died, I was told that there was a Will and that my 2 brothers and I are to be recipients of the house he and his partner shared (after she passes away). She is still alive, although we don’t speak at all. Right now I’m afraid that if I dont look into this for myself I may not be able to be part of that. I’m not sure where to begin researching this.

Asked on September 5, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If a Will is offered for Probate - the proceeding that processes the wishes of the decedent (your Dad) - then the Petition (the paperwork for filing) is filed in the Probate Court in the county in which the decedent legally resided at the time of his death.  The file is a public record and you can view the documentation in there with out the need for a court order, etc.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.