When leaving a rental, is is possible to provide a forwarding address too soon?

Good afternoon I was wondering, when leaving a rental home, is there such a
thing as giving the forwarding address too soon? Michigan law states ‘The tenant
shall notify the landlord in writing at the address given under section 4 within
4 days after termination of his occupancy of an address at which communications
pursuant to this act may be received. Failure to comply with this requirement
relieves the landlord of the requirement of notice of damages but does not
prejudice a tenant’s subsequent claim for the security deposit.’ We gave our
forwarding address about 7 days prior to moving out. Because of the wording of
the law my boyfriend believes that our notice was given too early, not in the 4
day window, and that now relieves our landlords of having to provide written
documentation of any claims against our security deposit.

Asked on May 14, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

"Within four days after termination of his occupancy" means *no later than* four days after the termination of occupancy. You can provide your forwarding address earlier, such as prior to moving out. The law you describe sets a latest or last day by which you need to provide the forwarding address, but does not set a defined window during which you must.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.