What to do if when I was 19 years old I dated a girl who told me that she was 17 but who was in fact 15?

A couple months into the relationship we had sex. Her parents caught us and called the cops. After I was arrested I was informed that the girl was only 15. I took a plea deal for sexual abuse in the first degree. Every detail about the case said that it should have been dropped, but the DA persisted. I was a black man being accused by a rich white mother. I was told taking the plea was the only option to not spending an obscene amount of time in jail as I had already been in jail for 4 months and wanted to go home. Because of this, I am now a registered sex offender with a 2 risk level. I found out that I can petition to have this reduced. What do I need to do?

Asked on February 25, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to get a lawyer immediately.  You should know that intent is not relevant; these violations are strict liability. If she is underage, then that is it; you committed the crime. Talk to a lawyer and see if or she can subpoena this girl about her lying.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.