If when I bought my house there was mention of some shrinkage of the siding on the home, what are our rights?

We had and inspector come and nothing was ever said as far as issued go with the siding. The previous owner caulked some the cracks from seperation and made us aware that he did this. We’ve lived there for almost 6 years now and our siding is warping and shrinking and it just getting worse and worse. Our neighbors let us know the whole neighborhood was given a check for $7,000 each to fix the faulty siding. We were not told that it was actually defective and that they were givin money to fix it. Do I have any rights to get money for new siding?

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Ok so here is the thing: generally speaking, issues that are not specifically singled out during the buying process do no what they say "survive closing."  And by singled out I mean they are specifically designated to survive.   Hoever, if there was a fraud of some sort then you may have a claim - maybe - if the statute of limitations has not run.  Who gave everyone the $7000?  Is that the siding people?  Investigate that avenue a bit more.  Maybe the prior owner did get that money and did not disclose.  But you need legal help ASAP.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.