If when I bought my home, I stupidly put my then boyfriend’s name on the deed but he has been in and out of jail and I have no idea where he is, how do I go about selling my half of the house?

The property was partitioned at a later date. I want to sell the house and go back to my family.

Asked on September 11, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You will need to file a suit to clear the title or to partition the property.  Basically, you are divorcing your boyfriend-- but just ommitting the divorce/ending marriage portion.  You really do need to seek out a real estate attorney to assist you.  If your title isn't clear, it will make it difficult to sell the property.  Even if someone is willing to purchase the property, they could have a claim against you later if your boyfriend should pop back into the picture and want to claim an interest in the home. 
Right now is a good time to file.  Even though you don't know where he is at, you can utlized alternative methods to have him served... it just takes jumping through a couple of extra hoops.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.