When found “Not Guilty” in court, can your owninsurer still hold you negligent for hitting the other driver?

Truck hit me. I was accused of “Unsafe Lane Change”. I went to court. Trial with judge and police officer. Verdict was “Not Guilty”. No Points; no charges; no costs. My insurance company paid the other driver’s truck damages. Can I retrieve my deductible and ask my insurer to get truck company to pay their own damages? Should I be charged at fault by my insurance company after a “Not Guilty” verdict?

Asked on July 22, 2010 under Insurance Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First off, congratulations!  You should be very proud of yourself for winning.  I believe that Maryland is fault state, meaning that the insurance carrier wil asses fault to the parties in the accident and pay out the claims accordingly.  In your case they were probably provided with the police report of the accident.  Was the police report one sided against you?  They might also have taken some statements and used them.  But given the outcome of your court case I would indeed try and recoup your deductible from them.  If the accident also caused your rates to go up I would fight that as well.  As for the payment made to the other car owner they can do as they please as long as the payment did not effect you in any way.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.