When filing for a green card, must both spouses have the same permanent residence or is it enough to prove that you are living together through other means (lease, job location, etc)?

Asked on March 12, 2015 under Immigration Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You mean physically live together, correct? The issue with marriages and gree cards is one of fraud.  USCIS is suspicious about "sham" marriages - people who get married just to become citizens - so they will investigate with even more diligence if you do not actually live together.  Seek help from an immigration lawyer in your area if there are special circumstances here (jobs, etc.).  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.