When family helps you out by directly paying your bills, do you have to declare that as income when you get food stamps?

Asked on September 1, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In New York, the food stamps application asks you about "income" and asks you to list that income.  Income included in the instructions for the form states "friends and family."  Now, you are going to have to read the application in Ohio and I would speak to some one about your situation.  If the payments are occasional and could be considered sporadic then probably not.  If they pay them on a regular basis then maybe.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.