When does the payment of child support start and does that affect visitation?

I just got done with mediation today and was concerned that I am not being told
the correct information and I kind of feel that the mediation favored for my wife
and not for me. So I am looking for some advice on what was told to me in
mediation cause I kind of feel it was more about the money and not what is best
for the kids.

Asked on March 22, 2018 under Family Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Child support commences as odf the date it is ordered by the court. As for visitation, the payment of child support is a seperate issue. In other owrds, visitation cannot be prohibited by the custodial parent if child support payments are made late or not at all. 

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Child support starts on the date ordered by the court.  Child support and visitation are separate issues.  Your ex cannot deny you visitation with your children because of a dispute over child support. The parties should agree on a schedule for visitation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.