When do I report my spouse and my car missing?

My spouse takes my car and may be gone for up to 3 days at a time. He is also a cocaine addict and will be in a car that is titled and licensed and insured to me. We have been married for 9 months.  Is this something that I should report to the police? I have been a teacher for 33 years and I am due to retire in 3 more years. I am worried about what may happen to me if he is caught with an illegal substance in this vehicle. He has also forged my name on 3 different checks. One I have reported to the Franklin County Sheriff’s Dept. I am waiting for the other 2 copies to come in the mail.

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Report him missing and let the police know all of the facts.  If he is caught with controlled substances in your vehicle you won't be charged.  However, if he has an accident with your car, as owner you have potential liability.

Additionally, you can press charges against him for forging your checks.

Bottom line, after you leave the police station head to the nearest attorney's office and file for divorce.  This man is only going to bring you down, and at a point in life that you can least afford it (financially, emotionally,etc). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.