When Deed Restrictions are blatantly ignored, what recourse do neighbors have?

My neighborhood has definite Deed
Restrictions stating that mobile homes are not
allowed in some sections. Yesterday three
segments of a mobile home were wheeled in
and set up. We neighbors want to know how to
stop it. We have no viable HOA.

Asked on January 24, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The county attorney does not usually enforce deed restrictions unless they also pose someother type of health or safety nuisance to the community.  If they will help you enforce....that would be great.  However, most likely, you will have to file your own suit to enforce the deed restriction.  You do so by filing a petition to enforce the deed restrictions.  I would suggest that you seek an attorney that specializes in real estate law to assist you, as this type of attorney will be the most effect at understanding, researching, and arguing deed restrictions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.