when buying a home on land contract are the current owners reponsible for anyone who get’s hurt on the property if we have home owners insurance?

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Real Estate Law, New York


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The current owners of land usually get homeowner's insurance to cover them for damages/injuries to the property.  Untill title passes to the new owners the current owner should keep their policy current to protect them from unforeseen incidents. Whoever is on title to the property at the time of the accident is responsible for the injuries.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.