When are you legally hired into a position?

I was currently working for a district as a substitute teacher. They wanted to

hire me as a full-time teacher, however I never went in for paperwork so I was confirmed for this process to begin. Now I am trying to leave the district, and they keep telling me that I need to complete my paperwork to be able to just leave. I never consented to this process or gave them my drivers license or social security card or signed a contract for them to process me as a teacher. They also never emailed me saying they were going to start the process before I came in with my drivers license and social security card. Legally do I need to be able to do this just to leave as I have a new job offer?

Asked on September 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

So long as you have not signed any type of employment contract or engagemnt letter, you are what is known as an "at will" employee. Accordingly, this means that you can quit at any time, no notice. That having been said, so as not to burn any bridges, if possible you may want to complete whatever paperwork they need.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you signed an employment contract which lays out a certain process or requirements to resign, you have to obey the terms of that contract; but without such a contract, you are an employee at will and may quit or resign at any time you choose. Unless obligated by a contract, you do not have to do any of this paperwork, etc. and may simply leave their employment if you choose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.