When a lessor can obtain a deficiency judgment?

Minnesota A leased vehicle new and expensive was forfeited pursuant to a DWI. Can the lessor obtain a judgment for deficiency and garnish wages?

Asked on January 24, 2018 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Yes, whenever the lessor does not receive all amounts or payments due under the lease, or has the vehicle confiscated or stolen or destroyed, etc. without receiving the full value from insurance, the lessor may sue the person(s) responsible (typically the lessee) for the additional amounts. There is no law protecting the lessee from having to compensate the lessor for any losses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.