When a child is brought over from Mexico by their parents, how do they become citizens when they become adults?

My daughters boyfriend was brought to arizona by his parents when he was 2. His parents applied for their papers 12 years ago.He is now 20 years old and still hasn’t gotton his citizenship. I want to know what needs to be done to help him get his papers so he can work and/or go to school?

Asked on June 28, 2012 under Immigration Law, Arizona


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Hello. If he is part of their applications and marries your daughter, he may qualify for a green card under Section 245i. In addition, the new Deferred Action policy issued by Obama may also qualify him for a work permit. I would need more information on his parents' applications to access his exact situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.