whats the max u can serve for a misdemeanor warrant in the state of maryland?

i was served wo appear in criminal court but never got the summons because i no longer lived at the address to which it was issued. what should i do?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Virginia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think you need to talk to a lawyer who practices where the Maryland criminal court is.  You'll need defense counsel for the original charge, and to deal with the failure to appear.

Your lawyer can help you set up getting the warrant cleared, by posting bail;  it's possible you'll have to turn yourself in briefly.

The address change might be accepted as the reason for the failure to appear, depending on the timing and other circumstances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.