What’s my redress on shoddy home improvement work from 2011

In 2011, I hired a company to do some work on the exterior of my house. I had new siding, brick face, front steps, new steel doors and storm doors as well as a walkway and a large patio built. The cost was about 56K. I paid all but about 1500.00 when I ran out of money. Now, the steps are peeling, the walkway and some brick face is cracked in some places broken. The patio seems to be separating it’s in four cement blocks and there are places where the patio and walkway have spaces under them. I know I came up short in the payment but do I have any recourse?

Asked on May 10, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the work was done five years ago, it may be too late to take action. The statute of limitations is how long you have to file a lawsuit; once the statutory period has expired, you may no longer sue. The relevant statutes of limitation for this sort of action are those for breach of contract (not doing the quality of work they agreed to do) or for fraud (lying about what they could or would do). The statute of limitations for contract cases is 4 years in your state; for fraud, it is only 2 years. If the work was done 5 years ago, it is likely therefore too late to file a lawsuit; they could likely get any such case dismissed on statute of limitations grounds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.