whats gonna happen is my insurance gonna cover it or am i gonna be stuck paying

I was in a car accident no one was hurt,but my vehicle was totaled. I wasn’t driving at the time because I was drinking and had a designated driver for the night,but guess she ended up having a few and I didn’t know.She said she would take full resposiblity she got a dui and licence suspension for a year.she was at fault in the accident whats gonna happen I haven’t been in a situation like this before?

Asked on September 5, 2016 under Accident Law, Alaska


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You are liable for the accident because you are the registered owner of the vehicle.  Your insurance company will deny the claim from the vehicle that was not at fault because your designated driver was not on your insurance policy and therefore was an unauthorized driver.
You are liable for the property damage (cost of repairs) to the vehicle not at fault in the accident.  If your insurance company denies the claim, you will be sued for negligence.  You can sue your designated driver for negligence for the amount of the judgment against you from the party not at fault.  You can also sue the designated driver for negligence for the loss of your vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.