What would happen if I can’t afford to pay a $200 boating misdemeanor from out of state

They can’t do anything to my driving record or driving license can they?

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If this was a misdemeanor driving/traffic violation, the court from out of state can suspend your license in that particular state due to your failure to pay after a default judgment has been entered. If this was a misdemeanor in which you may have plead guilty and was placed on probation and simply failed to pay court costs, then it is unlikely that your drivers license will be suspended, but the court could issue an arrest warrant due to your failure to comply with your probation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.