What would be the penalty for filing a false police report in a misdemeanor traffic accident with property damage?

Asked on September 6, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Filing a false police report is a violation of Penal Code Section 148.5, which carries a maximum sentence of 6 months in the county jail. That having been said, there is no minimum sentence, so a defendant need not automatically receive jail time. If the prosecutor does not yet know about the false police report, it would be better to come forward now. You may be dealt with more leniently. However, the misdemeanor charge will still need to be dealt with. You should consult directly with a criminal law attorney who practices in the area of where the accident happend.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.