What would be my best form of action if my rights are being violated by my federal probation officer?

I am currently on 2 years federal probation for the possession of alchohol 2 days after I graduated high school, I know that that does not excuse my crime but now I am under the impression that my rights are being somehow violated. I am consider a minor in the “courts eye” due to the fact I was a minor at the time I was charged. I am currently taking a semester off of college due to a financial strain, and my probation officer is now telling me that I am no longer allowed to continue living where I currently am.

Asked on March 1, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Not not certain why you are on a "federal" probation for a alcohol offense, but while on probation I would advise you to convey any potential problems or conflicts you may have to your probation officers supervisor. It is very important to follow all of the terms and conditions of your probation so that you not violate any probationary orders. You also want to maintain a good relationship with your current probation officer. But if problems or conflicts continue to arise, speak to their supervisor or even request to be transferred to a new officer.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.