What will the judge give me for a weed and Xanax ticket?

Last night I was stopped by the cops for allegedly speeding although I just passed the cop and when he approached my car was unable to give me the speed I was going. However, my girlfriend left her weed and 2 Xanax pills in my car and now I got tickets for both of them: I have a court date in about a month. I’ve been caught with weed before but got that dismissed, so technically my record is clean. Do you know what the judge will give me for these tickets? I’m also 19 years old.

Asked on July 4, 2016 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No one can guarantee exactly what a judge will do or what a prosecutor will offer you.  However, the cleaner your record is the more likely they are to offer a lighter sentence.  A lighter sentence could include a diversion program (where you can earn a dismissal) or some type of deferred probation.  Each usually involves the assessment of fees and court costs.  More and more jurisdictions are posting their general court costs online... so you should check the court's website to get an idea of the range of fees you could be assessed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.