What will happen to me if I loan my car to someone out on parole for a DUI and having a revoked license and they get pulled over for a non-drinking offense?

My friend served 18 month for a DUI. He says the risk of him driving my car is all on him. What am I risking if I let him drive my car?

Asked on April 5, 2012 under General Practice, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your friend is at fault in an auto accident while driving your car, you would be liable since you are the registered owner of the vehicle.  Your liability would include property damage to the other vehicle and personal injury claims of the occupants of the other vehicle.  The personal injury claims would include medical bills, pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills, and wage loss.

If your friend is at fault in the accident when you let him drive your car with his revoked license, it is possible that your auto insurance company might deny the claim of the driver/occupants of the other vehicle.  If that happens, the other driver and occupants of that vehicle would sue you for their property damage and personal injury claims.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.