What will happen if I press charges against someone who gave me an STD knowing they had it but didn’t tell me?

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you file a criminal complaint against a person who gave you a std and the matter is referred to the district attorney's office for consideration, the ultimate result is that there could be criminal charges for assault as well as a statutory violation in your state for what transpired.

I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney as to a possible civil lawsuit against the person who gave you the std.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.