What type of paperwork should be filed if I’m not sure ifmy wifeis planning on contesting?

We have been separated for 11 months. We both had agreed that when ready we would file a simple uncontested petition on our own. Now she won’t communicate with me on the subject. I think she’ll sign the agreement, but don’t know for sure. Hate to hire an attorney if this is the case.

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I can see how you may be leery about starting a full fledged action for divorce when you had agreed to do it simply.  But I would not suggest that you get a do-it-yourself divorce kit in any way, shape or form in any event, especially if there are assets and children involved.  But the simplest way for you to find out here what she is thinking is to proceed with the original plan for filing an uncontested divorce and sending her the paperwork.  If she does not respond then I think that you have your answer and that you will then have to proceed accordingly.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.